Monday, December 15, 2008

Confusion

Lately I have been reading my bible since I can barely make it to church on a regular basis, plus I find that I don't feel close enough to God when I am just going to church. I dug out my old Young Life Journey bible. Good times and lots of little notes from bible study or camps, it is fun to look back at these things. Anyhow, I got to a part in Matthew that confuses me:

"And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forvien men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either this age or in the age to come." Matthew 12:31-32

I understand that we are forgiven and how we came to be forgiven, BUT how are we (1st) forgiven for speaking against the Son of Man and (2nd) how are we not forgiven for speaking against the Holy Spirit?

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I do not have an answer to your question but the verse that sticks out to me is where Jesus says

"He who is not with me is against me"

That makes sense to me. We can't have it both ways - we can't walk the line. We have a choice to make - are we going to follow him or not?

Lately Curt has been using the word follow rather than believe when referring to a relationship with Jesus.

Jesus often asked people to follow him. It makes a much stronger statement in our day and age because follow is a verb - it requires action.