Sunday, May 10, 2009

Goodwill/Salvation Army

So I was packing today and I noticed I already have 12 boxes with only things from the kitchen, my book shelf, and present from Christmas that I have yet to take out of the boxes.

This got me thinking on what I can donate and also what I can't donate. I have books, clothes, dishes, and probably some shoes (don't worry Jeramie, not yours!), but what I am wondering is what type of things CAN'T I donate? Like what will they just look at me and say, "Really, you think we want this?"

I know that donating is great and they will be open to anything, after all people are in need of things. What I am wondering is are people really in need of ALL the things I am not in the need of so much anymore...Make sense?

Also, accountant that automatically becomes mine since we are blood...should I get a receipt? Or does that only matter if I am donating a car or big stuff like furniture? (OH! and where can I find an online buget helper?)

Please help! Anyone! Anyone!

1 comment:

Emily said...

You should make a list of everything for sure. Try to bring it to a place that will give you a receipt, more documentation is better than less. Do you itemize on your taxes or do you take the standard deduction? You will only be able to claim it on your taxes if you itemize, but if mom and dad are still claiming you this year I do know that they itemize so they would be able to claim it (or John and I could : )
Anyways, my rule for donating is that if you don't think that you could sell it in a garage sale then don't donate it. Shoes are fine as long as they are very lightly worn if at all.