Thursday, February 18, 2010

Changes

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. For the first time in a VERY long time, I am trying to commit to it. During Lent, Catholics give something up, they obstain from something that temps them. I chose to given up pop. I have tried this in years past, but never committed fully to the idea of what Lent is and what it means to give something up. During Mass yesterday, prior to getting the ashes, the priest was speaking about how when this time of year comes around Catholics usually go around thinking to themselves and outloud what they are going to give up. He said he does the same. In reality, the best way to truely be God-like, one should not talk about what they are giving up. It is best to give up and to go on like nothing has changed. (Matthew 6:1-6)

So far, we are on day 2. We will see how this works out. This time I am going to seek strength from God to complete this task. I have asked him and will continue to ask him to give me strength to do this and to stick to it. We will see, we will see.

No comments: