Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Praying

So I know this is a stupid question, but when you pray about making a purchase, such as furniture, how long do you wait before making the decision? I have prayed about decisions before, but haven't actualy either realized that an answer came to me through different ways, or I have just followed my gut feeling. Is that the answer, the gut feeling? Currently we are thinking about purchasing furniture for either our bedroom or the livingroom...but I don't know what to do.
Miss has talked about her finances, and let's just say we aren't broke, BUT technically we are with credit card bills (which we aren't charging on anymore) and school loans that will come in a year or so for me and two years for him. When I talk to my mom about purchasing anything, she always reminds me that I am a broke college student. I fell guilty even thinking about this. I know that I have bills to pay, but realistically we could pay off either a bedroom set or a livingroom set in 6 months. BUT that's if we stop trying to pay off our credit cards and just go back to paying minimum plus finance charges. I just don't know what to do.
We went shopping today, but I am so unsettled about all of it! It stresses me out and then irritates Jeramie because I am unsure and can't decide. I have only been praying about this for about a week since we were going to move and have a bigger apartment to fill with things. But now I just don't know what to do. I am going about things like we are intending to purchase something, but putting $1400 into something is intense and a BIG leap! I don't know. I wish I could just have some things decided for me! Ugh stress

2 comments:

Megan Marie said...

Just be a bit careful when making big purchases right now. Make sure you look around...I mean everywhere to make sure you are getting the best deal. Also, remember it is garage sale season!! And Craigs List has a lot of stuff on there as well. That way you can get things now, that don't hurt you in the bank or getting more in to debt. When we first moved in to our house when we got married, almost our whole home was furnished by used family furniture. NOT joking! We only bought a bed!
Then when we moved to Cambridge, we used the money from our house sale to purchase new things.
My advice: do what you can now, even if it's used. Someday, it will be really exciting when you can purchase an item on your own, new, with your own money!
Just some advice!

Miss said...

The fact that you said you feel uneasy about anything leads me to believe maybe God is encouarging you NOT to make such a big purchase right now.
If you can learn from others (me)...it is SOOO SOOO worth paying everything off before you make another large purchase. Unless its a NEED I would really encourage you to try to be content with what yo have (or do what Megan said and get something used=cheap) until you can save the cash to pay for it.

Its so not worth owing on things you already have